About the Position
Exciting opportunity to work at a tech-centric prop trading fund as a Production Engineer. At this firm, Production Engineers are software developers who spend time both developing software and also providing high quality support for software systems that are critical to the trading business.
Many of their Production Engineers are embedded in various software teams; others are in standalone teams. In both situations, you’ll work alongside application developers with a common goal of creating and running great software systems. As a firm they are big believers in functional programming.
Production Engineers play an essential role interacting with a wide variety of departments and functions. They solve real-time issues and make a firm-wide impact. Taking ownership of the architecture and design of systems that monitor and support the firm’s trading. They also design and develop the tools they use; it’s a great feeling to be able to shape these tools and then enjoy the improvements.
How is a Production Engineer role different from a generic Software Engineering role?
As a Production Engineer you will:
- Split your time between software development project work and a support rotation, to actively resolve live issues in the critical systems
- Be curious and eager to learn about a number of different systems and how they fit together. This gives you a breadth of knowledge and opportunities to collaborate with many other dev and business teams across the firm
- Spend less time in total coding (due to the support rotation), and be interrupted more often, and you’ll enjoy adding value to Jane Street in this way
- Get satisfaction from helping others, enabling good trades, and getting to the bottom of complex and urgent production issues
You’re not expected to have a background in functional programming, finance, or any other specific field—they’re looking for smart software developers who enjoy solving interesting problems. They’re more interested in how you think and learn than just what you currently know. You should be:
- A strong programmer with a love for technology; able to write and read code well
- An intellectually curious person who is motivated, collaborative, and eager to learn
- An excellent communicator, able to be clear and calm during production incidents
- Fluency in English required